Tuesday 15 April 2014

Indian Spiced Tamarillo Chutney

Well, I have crossed off the three things I had on my 'To Do' list as I had tamarillos and chillies which needed to be made into chutney and sauce as well as milk which I had been freezing to make my first batch of goat's milk soap. Firstly I will show you how the Indian Spiced Tamarillo Chutney turned out and will save the Sweet Chilli Sauce and Goat's Milk Soap for posts later on in the week.



As I mentioned in my last post, our old tamarillo tree died probably due to lack of water during the dry spell and then, thanks to some kind or, more like it, hungry bird or flying fox, I recently found another tree growing which was bearing fruit already. So I thought I would make up a couple of bottles of Indian Spiced Tamarillo Chutney using Amanda Laird's recipe which I found on Bite.

Here are the ingredients if anyone would like to try it:

1kg   Tamarillos
2       Onions
2       Granny Smith apples
1T     Oil
1        piece 3cm Ginger
1T     Yellow mustard seeds
2t       Cumin seeds
2t       Coriander seeds
1T      Fenugreek, dried leaves
2t       Chilli powder
1c       Sugar
1c       Cider vinegar
Directions:



1. Cut the tamarillos in half and scoop the flesh into the bowl. Finely dice the onions and add. Core and dice the apples and add. I used my 'fake' Nicer Dicer to do the hard work.



2. In a large saucepan add the oil and heat. Peel and finely chop or grate the ginger and add it to the oil with the mustard seeds and stir. The seeds will begin to pop so then turn down the heat and add the cumin, fenugreek, coriander and chilli. I didn't have any chilli powder so used a couple of chillies from the garden. 


3. Stir well then add the vinegar, sugar, onions, apples and tamarillos. Stir all the ingredients together and bring to the boil stirring regularly then cook for an hour or until thick and pulpy.

4.  Spoon into hot, sterilised jars and seal. This chutney will keep for at least 6 months.
So there you have it...give it a try if you have tamarillos growing or can buy them cheaply in the fruit shop or supermarket although I think they are usually fairly expensive. We also have a red tamarillo tree growing which hasn't produced fruit as yet and my husband prefers the red one to the yellow tamarillo as it is sweeter.  

I had a taste of the chutney and it is very nice even if it is just a tad too spicy for my liking as I am not fond of chillies as they are too hot. I dare say it won't last too long though.

Have you ever tasted tamarillos or have them growing?




4 comments:

  1. Yum Nanna Chel! I think I will need to plant a Tamarillo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like them, Tanya. The red one is probably nicer than the orange one.

      Delete
  2. That does look yummy, Nanna Chel. I don't mind spicy but I have heard if you take the seeds out of the chilli peppers they aren't half as hot. Thanks for sharing !
    -Shiralee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiralee, I did try to get all the seeds out of the chillies but a few sneaked into the chutney. I forgot to wear gloves when cutting them up though so paid for that little mistake :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...