Friday 25 April 2014

Brussels Sprouts - yum or yuk?

Are you a fan of Brussels Sprouts? I must admit they are a vegetable that I used to pass by in the fruit and veggie shop but a couple of years ago I came across a recipe in a blog I used to read and I thought it looked interesting so gave it a try and  was very pleased with the result. The recipe was for Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Bacon & Apples.

 Brussels sprouts are a great source of vitamin C (having more than an orange), vitamin A, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, beta carotene, fibre and magnesium and they are high in selenium which is associated with reduced risks of certain cancers. However it is not the vegetable for those on anticoagulant medication as, if you eat too many Brussels sprouts, they can counteract the effect of this medication.

Anyway, back to the recipe. It was featured on Little Pink Monster and, while I am yet to perfect this dish, it has the most fantastic taste due to the addition of red wine vinegar just before serving. Here it is:


INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 4 pints Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices, each slice halved crosswise
  • 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar 


 METHOD
  1. Preheat oven to 425F (approx. 220C) . Arrange bacon in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until browned, 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts in a single layer; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes.

  2. Remove from oven and toss in apple. Return to oven. Roast until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender and apple has softened, 10 to 15 minutes.

  3. Toss vegetables with vinegar, and serve immediately.

     

    I didn't bother about the '4 pints Brussels sprouts' as I only had about 14 in the fridge and my apple was very small so I used two.


     

    The first time I made this dish the bacon burnt and the Brussel sprouts were a bit too chewy so this time I cooked the bacon in a saucepan first as I already had it out to cook something else and then I added it with the apple.

    The next time I cook it I will boil the Brussel sprouts a little first and see if that helps with the chewiness. I would have left them to cook longer in the oven but the leaves which had come off during cooking were starting to burn. However, in spite of them being a little underdone this is a fantastic side dish as I just love the unique taste of the bacon, Brussel sprouts and apples with the red wine vinegar stirred through.

    Give it a try if you are partial to Brussels sprouts. It is something 'different' and I am sure will be a taste that you will love. Let me know if you do make this dish as I would be interested to know if you tweaked anything from the original recipe. It is a great winter dish and Brussels sprouts are sooooooo good for you!





6 comments:

  1. Raw, fresh, frozen. Whole, chopped up, sliced into salad. Stuffed. Bright and toothsome or cooked to oblivion and then finished in deeply browned butter.

    There is not anything you could do to the wee sprouts that would make me hesitate to eat them and then take more than my share when no one was looking. If I am around and you want some, you better be quick.

    My favorite vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J, it sounds like you really, really like them. Lots of people don't probably because of the smell while they are cooking. This is a really delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love sprouts though realise they are not a favourite with everyone. Cabbage can be cooked with bacon as well ... using bacon pieces cook them slightly in a small amount of oil, add shredded cabbage that still has moisture from washing on it, slam a lid on the pot and cook for a few moments. The cabbage comes out crunchy with a delightful bacon flavour:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds good too, Shirley. I will try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if you remember the "Little House on the Prairie" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, her husbands favorite meal was fried apples and onions with bacon! At the risk of being terribly out of step with current food trends it is hard to beat anything fried with bacon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in The Netherlands we help our children swallow Brussels sprouts by serving the sprouts covered with ( homemade ) applesauce. Just a ( X(XXX)L ) spoonful of applesauce makes the Brussels sprouts, and so much more, go down.... :>)
    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...